Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mexican Lasagna

This recipe comes highly recommended from my friend Dana. She actually got it from Rachel Ray. It's very easy and very delicious. I actually made a few changes to it and realized after I had it all together, my layers were mixed up. Either way, it was still good!


Ingredients

3 Tbls EVOO
2 pounds ground chicken ( I used ground beef, you could even use turkey)
2 Tbls chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 chopped red onion
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
1 c. medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14oz) can stewed tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes
1 c. frozen corn
salt
8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or shredded pepper jack
2 scallions, finely chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Preheat a large skillet over mediun heat. Add 2 tbls EVOO. Add chicken and season with chili powder, cumin and red onion. Brown the meat, about 5 minutes. Add taco sauce or tomatoes. Add black beans, and corn. Heat the mixture through, about 2 to 3 minutes then season with salt, to your taste.

Coat a shallow baking dish with remaining EVOO, about 1 Tbls. Cut the tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then totillas, then cheese. Repeat: meat, tortilla, cheese again. Bake lasagna 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with scallions and serve.

**A few changes I made were that I used ground beef instead of chicken. If you prefer turkey, you could use that as well. I also cut the recipe in half because I only had 1 pound of ground beef and 4 totillas. I used the red ( sundried tomato and basil) tortillas because that's what I had. I actually built mine a little different (by mistake) then the what the recipe calls for.  I put it together with the beef and beans, cheese and then the tortillas. Then I went with another layer of beef and cheese. Once I realized I had made a mistake, I decided not to put another layer of tortillas. It still came out pretty good. I served it with a dollop of sour cream on top. My husband absolutely loved it! The best part is there's some leftovers for lunch today!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment