Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken Taco Stew in Bread Bowls

This is an excellent weeknight meal. Not only is it easy and super yummy, but it's served in a bread bowl! Every time I make this I say to John, "What else I can serve in bread bowls?" It's that delicious! I did make a few slight changes to the original recipe, but it was just as good!


Ingredients

~1 can (11 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated crusty French loaf (I always buy 2)
~1 pkg. (9 oz) refrigerated cooked Southwest flavor chicken breast strips, chopped
~1 can (15 oz) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
~1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (OK here is where I strayed away from the recipe. I used I (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes and 1 (4oz)  can of diced green chilies.)
~1 cup frozen corn
~1 cup chicken broth (I used a whole 14.5 oz can )
~1 Tbls cornstarch (because I had a little more liquid I needed more cornstarch. I continued to add it until I achieved my desired thickness)
~shredded cheddar

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Cut dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each into a ball, placing seam at bottom so dough is smooth on top. Place dough balls, seam sides down, on cookie sheet. (Like I said, I buy two loaves and cut them in half so I end up with 4 bread bowls. You could cut them in threes if you want smaller bowls.)

2. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix remaining ingredients, except cheese. Cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils and thickens.

4. Cut top off each bread loaf. Lightly press center of bread down to form bowls.



Place bread bowls in individual shallow soup plates. Fill bread bowls with stew and top with cheddar cheese. Place top of each bread bowl next to filled bowl.

Truth be told . . . .I make two extra bread bowls so we can have it for lunch the next day!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment