Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Who doesn't love a good soup? Especially on these cold days. I found a few recipes for Cream of Broccoli soup and while they all sounded good, I ended up sort of combining two recipes, but making some changes to it. I have to say, it turned out pretty good.


Ingredients

2 Tbls butter
1onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped ( I was out of celery so I used a handful of baby carrots, chopped)
3 1/4 cups chicken broth
4 cups broccoli florets

3 Tbls butter
3 Tbls flour
2 cups whole milk
1/4 teas nutmeg
1/4 teas ground black pepper
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar

Directions

1. Melt 2 Tbls butter in medium sized stock pot and saute onion and carrots until tender. Add a little fresh ground black pepper. Add brocoli and broth, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

2. Puree the soup in the food processor in batches until smooth. Pour back into stock pot.

3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, over medium-heat melt 3 Tbls butter, stir in flour and add milk, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until bubbly, and add to soup. 

4. Add cheese and S&P as needed. Heat until cheese is melted. (Do not boil.)

**I added the cheese right in the pot with the soup. One recipe I found didn't call for cheese at all and the other had you putting it on top at the end . We like it cheesy!! I really didn't measure the cheese either. I added it until we were satified with the taste. I had half a block of white sharp cheddar that I shredded. It didn't seem like enough, so I added a little more with yellow sharp cheddar. That seemed to do the trick!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment